To Blend or To Juice? There are Benefits to Both!
Feb 25, 2021
Are you smoothie obsessed or a green juice lover?! Or both??
In the health and wellness world, drinking your fruits and veggies is a regular thing! Starting your day with one is not only refreshing, but a perfect way to hydrate with lots of vitamins, minerals and nutrients! Grabbing a green smoothie with some vegan protein powder and superfoods is also a fantastic way to replenish after a workout.
So, which do you prefer? And do you ever wonder which is best? Well here’s some info about your favorite healthy beverages, and you can decide what is best for you!
When it comes to blending or juicing, there are benefits to both!
The awesome smoothie:
- By using the whole fruit and veggie, there is more fiber to help you feel full longer, and the fiber slows the absorption of sugar into your bloodstream from any fruit being used.
- With a blender, especially a strong one like a Vitamix, it’s easy to add in superfoods, like goji berries, raw cacao and Maca powder (rich in antioxidants!), and healthy fats, like hemp and chia seeds, coconuts, almond butter, walnuts and flax seeds.
- Smoothies can also be a healthy source of protein! Add organic vegan protein powders, fresh kale, spinach and other greens! Greens are actually a great source of vegan protein. Try adding some raw broccoli to your next smoothie sensation!!
- By keeping the fiber, adding the fats and plant-based protein options, smoothies can be a filling, nutritious meal with lots of vitamins, minerals and nutrients … and delicious, too!
The heavenly juice:
- By leaving out the fiber, juicing provides easy nutrient absorption since it gives the digestive system a rest. This is a reason why juicing is often used during fasting.
- Juicing your veggies is extremely hydrating. It’s a perfect morning elixir, since it’s normal to wake up dehydrated after a long night of sleep.
- Great for immunity — raw juices are full of vitamins, minerals and enzymes that strengthen your blood and immune system. Explore different combinations for various needs! Kale, cucumber, apple, lemon and ginger are a classic combination!
- Juicing also works to alkaline and detoxify the body… another reason juice fasting is common in the wellness world.
- Add garlic and ginger for extra immunity and for anti-inflammatory benefits! Carrots are great for your skin, beets for your blood, and of course using a large variety of greens is ideal!
- The caution with juicing, as amazing as it can be, is there’s no fiber slowing down the absorption of sugar into your bloodstream. This is especially true if you’re using more sugary veggies, such as carrots or beets, or more fruit. Be mindful how your body feels. You can have a healthy source of fat or a meal after your juice to feel more balanced.
Including more fresh fruit and vegetables into your days is an incredible way to improve your health, to get more nutrients into your cells, and to feel more vibrant and energized!
Variety is key! So whether you prefer juicing to blending or vice versa, do a little of both! Mix it up! Be creative with the ingredients, and listen to what your body needs! By tuning into the foods you eat, and noticing how they make you feel, you will be able to decide what is best for you!
In love and vibrant health!
Jenny Geyser, M.Ed.
Holistic Wellness Coach
Health & Wellness Writer
Certified Yoga Instructor, E-RYT 500, YACEP